Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Book Review: True to the Last

True to the Last 
By Evelyn Everett-Green
Review by Amy B.

 We got this book from Lamplighter Publishing a few months ago and as I was reading something else at the time Melody then Hannah read it first.  As I was sitting in the living room on the couch reading Self-Raised Hannah came into the room sobbing.  At first I was alarmed, "Are you ok?"  I asked, but noticing True to the Last in her hand I figured it had something to do with it.  She nodded and said something that I cannot tell you because it would give away the ending.
  Needless to say I was slightly disappointed that she gave away the ending to me (it was not her intent but being emotionally distraught she couldn't help it :)) but having finished Self-Raised I began True to the Last.  Even though I knew the ending I too cried as I read the last few pages of this beautiful book.  No, I did not sob... but I wonder if I would have if I didn't know the ending...
  Arnold's mother passes away, leaving her poor lame boy alone in the world without father, siblings, or any family relation of any kind.  But thankfully her best friend of old remembers her and takes Arnold to live with her, her brother and his two boys.
  Arnold is despondent at first.  He is angry that God would take his mother, that he would be lame and unable to run and play like other boys, but his anger is quelled by the sweet friendship that begins to take place between himself and the younger of Aunt Mary's (for that is what she desired to be called by him) nephews, Ted.  The younger boy has a sweet and soft countenance that appeals to Arnold and they spend many hours together talking.  Arnold does not care as much for the older brother, Geoffrey, for he was always outdoors playing, or keeping his animals, or listening for the cuckoo.  Arnold hardly saw anything of him and was satisfied with the friendship of Ted.
  But when Uncle Reginald (the boys' father- he desired to be called this) comes home, Ted spends more time with him and less time with Arnold leaving him to find things to do himself- leading him outdoors to Geoffrey's chickens and animals.  Geoffrey is very kind to Arnold and when Arnold wants to have some chicks of his very own, they become partners.  As Arnold spends more time with Geoffrey, the boy's noble character is revealed.  The boy possessed a godly and pure heart, a manly and brave spirit, and and a God-fearing attitude.  As Arnold sees Geoffrey's pure motives in obedience to his father he wonders how he could be so misunderstood by him.
  Later on when an older boy comes to stay for the summer holiday Ted seems easily swayed by the naughty boy's influence but yet Geoffrey does not give in to the boy's disobedience to rules and cowardly (though Ted saw them as brave and tough) feats.  Even Arnold is influenced greatly by the older boy and the three of them gang up on the noble boy whose chief desire is to be obedient to God and his father.  But the pressure of three boys, one of which being much older than himself is very great.  Will Geoffrey be able to stand firm?
  This story will no doubt make your heart swell if not bring tears to your eyes as you turn the last few pages.  Perfect for young boys striving to be obedient and pleasing to God this book will encourage them remain true to the very last.

Purchase this book from Lamplighter Publishing for 15% off!  Click Here  (It will not appear to be 15% off at first but once you put it in your basket the discount will appear)

To see reviews on other books sold by Lamplighter Publishing, click here.

2 comments:

Kels said...

Hey! You haven't posted in a while, I've missed seein' ya!
Love ~Kels

Kathleen O. said...

I finished True to the Last a few days ago... I believe I like it more than The Hidden Hand! I cried and was very distraught over the ending.. I begged Mommy to read it out loud to me and Elise when I finished and ever time Geoffry's name is mentioned, I feel as though I might cry!
Wonderful review Amy!
Cant wait to see you guys!
-Kathleen